photo LFD-header_zpsrtqgwepm.png
 photo home_zpsbeyvjzpc.png  photo story_zpsryll93pv.png  photo church_zpsutjg0pcs.png  photo vintage_zpsrnxzz1s4.png  photo mosaics_zpslhx9tjaj.png  photo gallery_zpsrtj0zvcz.png

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Comedic Bad

This morning was total crap. 
So I thought I would tell you about another morning not long ago that was pretty wonky too.

It was the second day at War Eagle and I didn't sleep a wink the night before it started, and woke up staring at the ceiling again the second night in a row.  I had fallen dead asleep though, without touching the nice glass of red wine hubby brought me at bedtime.  It was three am and I was trying to decide if that was before or after 9 am.  Isn't 9 am the absolute earliest you can drink?  I don't know...I have no experience whatsoever with drinking.  But that's another story for another time.  Desperate to sleep, I sat up and drank the whole thing in one gulp.  And slept.

Hard.

And long enough for a little boy to come bounding into our room.  But it was pitch black dark. I tried to pry an eyeball open to see the clock, but there wasn't a spark of light.  

The power was out. 

The power was out and it was Friday morning. My parents were here and we were headed to the show together. We needed to get there by 8 o'clock and it is 40 minutes away.  And it was picture day at school. 

We lit the gas fireplace for a little light and warmth...it was a chilly 40 degrees.  And then scrounged up candles for everyone to get dressed.  Fortunately, we got the kids clothes ready the night before, but there wasn't much we could do about their hair besides spit on it and hope it looked ok.

The 6 year old was stealth. She knew Mom had already said no to the sparkly pink bow she had asked to wear.  It isn't a people-bow. It's from a doll and the bow is made of hot pink lame' metallic fabric.  And it didn't match her shirt.  So she asked Nana to put it in her hair. And Nana did...with the skill only a mother with three girls with thick mops of hair could do in the dark. 

And that's how we ended up with three goofy school pictures.  There is something wrong with all of them....crazy hair, non-matching hair bow, whatever it is that Mattie doesn't like about hers....but I am embracing them for what they are...a memory of a crazy morning that we all survived. 

Kind of like today.

2 comments:

Mrs. V said...

hahaha--I suppose Mattie is of that age when it really doesn't matter how good the picture is, she'll hate it (me from 11-er, now).
the thing is, if you look at these pictures, you know that each one of these kids is full of personality and interesting things. They don't have the vapid look of the common kid and I love them to pieces

Mother B said...

Just look at those faces! After spending time with them and having to leave them and then just looking at their pictures.....I could just cry..I miss them so much! They are endearing children.

Blogging tips