photo LFD-header_zpsrtqgwepm.png
 photo home_zpsbeyvjzpc.png  photo story_zpsryll93pv.png  photo church_zpsutjg0pcs.png  photo vintage_zpsrnxzz1s4.png  photo mosaics_zpslhx9tjaj.png  photo gallery_zpsrtj0zvcz.png

Friday, July 27, 2007

Culinary Creativity

So the kids are leaving on Sunday to spend a week at their grandparents...

NOTE: I may not blog next week because I won't have to escape from my life periodically to have "conversations" with grown-ups.

Anyway, so since they are leaving, we decided not to get any more groceries at the beginning of this week, but instead, to make do with what we have already. (And next week, Robb and I will make 2 am runs to Taco Bell and eat otherwise crazy things whenever we feel hungry.)

I have to say, I'm pretty good at this. I'm not bragging, but if Bobby Flay and I had a Throw Down with a nearly bare pantry and a fridge full of leftovers, I would kick his hiney.

Examples? last night, I made chicken gravy and biscuits. My mouth is actually watering at the thought of that gravy...which began with finely chopped onions,carrots and celery, sauteed in butter, and ended with roux thickening.

The night before, I made a bread pudding consisting of three crumbly berry flavored bagels, 2 crusts of bread, 2 packages of hersheys hot chocolate mix, 2 tablespoons of vermouth, 2 eggs, a splash of milk, and two tablespoons of leftover cooked mixed berries.

Wanna know another super cheap meal? A cup of rice, a can of rotel, black beans, and a frozen hamburger...Served with a box of Jiffy cornbread. Throw it in a tortilla the next day for lunch.

So, I am out of sugar now. And all snack foods. And most of the oatmeal. And a lot of other stuff. But I feel confident that with a can of tomato juice and a sprig of parsley, I can whip up something else...at least until the coffee gives out....

10 comments:

tammi said...

I bow to your creativity.

We currently have a fairly full pantry and yet I still open it every night and wonder what the heck I can make from it.
Culinary Creativity requires too much brain activity for a hot summer day.

Vanessa said...

okay, you saved me hours of intensive gut scrubbing windows...here's my suggestion for dinner...

Watermelon. And a couple pieces of rolled up turkey. Bam.

: )

Heidi said...

I thought 2 nights w/out kids was going to be great, but you get an entire freaking week! I'm so jealous. Maybe I should just send mine down to my parents and see what happens = )

Anonymous said...

we had a bit of a free weekend last weekend because I was having a garage sale and it wouldn't have worked to sell Dora's old toys if she was there...anyways, long story short, we ate crap food a weird hours and I got to go bowling for the first time in my life (and I kicked ron's butt!) and we watched a movie (AT THE THEATER!!). Of course, the second day I was totally missing my Wee One but it was really great and I'm glad you (and Heidi) are getting a break--it's well deserv

Anonymous said...

um "deserved" was what that last word was supposed to be. I got distracted by a 3 year old with a squirt gun stuck in her waiste ban like a holster trying to mug me

12-arrows said...

wow......a whole week just the two of you! I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like. The last time someone watched my kids so Den and I could have some time together was 4 years ago (and it was our older son watching everyone) for our trip to NYC; that was the first time we had ever left them for "us"; usually it was for ministry related events (which for me were few and far between!). Enjoy your week, it will go by quickly and when your kids return you will be anxious and happy to see them and ready for life again!

Vanessa said...

i cannot wait...Honestly, it is such perfect timing, God himself must have orchestrated it all. it will be a busy week for the church, moving into a new location, but also for us, it is just exactly what we need to make a fresh start at some things. I can't help thinking it will be one of those milestones we'll look back on....

klasieprof said...

Sex on Sunday afternoon at the Vintage Butterfly house!!...and Sunday evening..then...V will be saying..OK ENOUGH already...get the to-do list!!!

LOL!

Hub always says when I"m leaving on a trip and ask if he'll miss me..."How Can I MISS you if you won't LEAVE?"

klasieprof said...

Well Yah..He says that..THEN says..UM..."You are taking the kids with you aren't you???"./////

Heidi said...

so what's it like having a whole entire day to yourself? are you getting loads of work done, or are you taking it easy because you feel like you have plenty of time?

Blogging tips