photo LFD-header_zpsrtqgwepm.png
 photo home_zpsbeyvjzpc.png  photo story_zpsryll93pv.png  photo church_zpsutjg0pcs.png  photo vintage_zpsrnxzz1s4.png  photo mosaics_zpslhx9tjaj.png  photo gallery_zpsrtj0zvcz.png

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

If You Build it They Will Come (ie...how to set up a craft show booth)

So here we are a couple of days from the show, and I was in desperate need of knowing
if I had enough stuff  to fill the space.  I've never done this kind of out door show, and I had a sense that I would need to practice a bit before setting up in the 85 degree weather they are calling for on Thursday.

So I taped off a section of my garage and worked on arranging my doors.  Oh, my doors. I love them so.  Three of them came from a boy-scout sale a couple of years ago. I paid a dollar a piece.  Robb was so incredulous at the time, but not a week later, I got my first show invite and he has since learned not to mess with the ways of the Junk Ninja.   The fourth door, the one that is very distressed and white...let me tell you about that.  I was driving down highway 412, a very twisty and lovely road, on my way back from the airport about a month ago, and I spotted this lying alongside the road.  I spun the van around and shoved it in the back with no clear idea why I felt that I simply must have this item.  It was attached with hinges to the door post and pierced through with many large nails,  but they hammered out just fine.  I scraped it down, trying not to breathe too much (what's a little lead paint here and there?) and used the attached hinges to secure it to my other door. Voilia.  I'd say three bucks is a very fair price for a booth display.

The crib, you may well recognize from my Heartwood Booth.  I decided not to reinvent the wheel and just dissembled it when I got my other items.  The crib belonged to my Great Grandma and Mom brought it home some 30 years ago with ideas in her head about what might be done with it.  It then hung in the barn for about 25 years until I was home one weekend with a vehicle big enough to stow it.   Dad fussed but Mom was triumphant that somebody shared her vision.   After a low time of me growing morning glories on it, it has become one of my favorite things in the world, giving me deep satisfaction for finding such a perfect use for it.

Now just try to picture it all with a black plastic curtain behind it since they are predicting rain after all (Today I buy the Wellies...whoohooo!)   I spent the day polishing up each piece, gluing wallpaper backing to each framed piece and hanging wires, sealing the grout and adding a little flourish to some of the frames.  My voice is still gone.

And while I was working this out, my children were doing what children do.....playing in cardboard boxes.

5 comments:

Sara said...

love the pics!!! And can't wait to have my own children play in cardboard boxes...cheeper than toys...lol

Keri Pierce said...

I am in awe. I want to get in my car and come to the show!

Vanessa said...

Oh Keri...do it.

I'm totally serious.

: )

carahinojosa said...

Looks so great. I love the white door. I'm actually keeping my eyes open for one so we can turn it into a headboard.....

ash said...

"junk ninja"....

that's some gentle humor, nessa-bean.

Blogging tips