photo LFD-header_zpsrtqgwepm.png
 photo home_zpsbeyvjzpc.png  photo story_zpsryll93pv.png  photo church_zpsutjg0pcs.png  photo vintage_zpsrnxzz1s4.png  photo mosaics_zpslhx9tjaj.png  photo gallery_zpsrtj0zvcz.png

Monday, November 09, 2009

My Husband



is really a ROCK STAR among husbands. Let me count the ways:

On Friday, he lined up the baby sitter and supper for the kids, let me take my sweet time getting ready (and believe me, I took FOREVER) and took me out for dinner (and ice-cream) and a movie. My favorite restaurant here is called Noodles, and it a locally owned place. I signed up for their rewards cards last year, and they send out great coupons (to the tune of 10 dollars off) for your birthday and anniversary. I had the jalapeno lime parmesan crusted chicken on a bed of linguini with cream sauce. Oh. yeah.

And because I was in a very silly mood, I suggested we play the "Let's pretend we're on a first date" game. I haven't been on a first date in 16 years and it was darn good fun.

On Saturday, we luxuriously wasted the whole day just poking around....picked up a kid from a birthday party, dropped off flower pots, (got paid!), stopped at a couple of garage sales, came home and painted the powder room, while hubby cleaned the house and put out a beautiful, grown-up birthday party. While I got dressed he brought me a present...one of Anita's lovely twig necklaces from the Heartwood Gallery. Hannah and I have been eyeballing these for two years and he remembered. Like he does.
And then I got to see the cake. And I screamed. And squealed. And jumped up and down. And my kids thought I lost my mind. I kissed Robb while trying to squeal and jump up and down at the same time. Because every day, I read the wonderful blog, "Cake Wrecks: when professional cakes go horribly, hilariously wrong." So he ordered me a purposeful CAKE WRECK (from Rick's Bakery, no less, so not only was it hilarious, it was like a tiny taste of the clouds in heaven)!

And then, everyone brought me presents even though Robb told them not to. And they are all just so...thoughtful and "me." I was just so very overwhelmed. It quite redeemed my last birthday party when I was 13 years old (which was so lousy I never had another party again.) I'm telling you, it would be worth it to turn 40 to have another party like that!

I'm a crazy-lucky girl. It might be Monday now and laundry must be done, but that guy will come home again tonight and be just as amazing as ever.

7 comments:

Sara said...

yeah, for awesome birthdays, and for awesome husbands. I always have to remind myself that a husband learns how to love his wife more and more the longer that they are married and the longer that he has to learn about her. Carl is definately a better husband now than he was 2 years ago and I look forward to being married to him for 12years..it's hard to picture what that will be like.

Thanks for sharing your joy!

bina said...

Aw. This is a sweet post in many ways. Happy Birthday, Vanessa.

Jasmine said...

Garrett has learned a lot from Robb.
It is a true blessing to have husbands who seek to fill our needs and wants.
We are, indeed, lucky girls.

Tally said...

I have flat out bawled before at your "Robb-gushing" but now I'm starting to get used to it. I'm glad he made you so happy on your b-day! And I'm glad you had an excellent day! What a fun party!!! :D

wendy said...

thank you.
for your words, thank you.

it means a lot. :)

Into Vintage said...

You had me at 'while hubby cleaned the house'. Your cake wreck made me LOL - perfect! -amy

PS Cute hair!

Unknown said...

You look SO young and beautiful!

I adore your necklace! And your cake even more! SO clever, that Robb!

Blogging tips