Sunday, October 11, 2009

And Now, For Something Completely Different....


I feel like I went to sleep and woke up a month later in a completely different life. I confess that this move, approximately 1/2 mile from the former location, has been one of the most disconcerting events of my life. While I haven't walked into any walls exactly, I do keep trying to put the milk in the pantry, which stands approximately in the same location as the old fridge.

The first night, I had the strongest urge to call our old neighbors and tell them we miss them. Because we do. Desperately.

For the first few days, we had no internet or tv and so I just kept putting things away until I sort of fell into what felt very much like a hotel bed with a hotel bathroom. Robb has been buried with work and was torn between wanting to take a little time to help us unpack, but after spending a week in Grand Rapids already and many new challenges at the office, really needing to put in some full days.

On Wednesday, the school called and asked me to come get Charleigh who was sporting a fever of 102. She came home and slept until 7:30, got up without a fever, ate a tray full of peanut butter crackers and went back to bed and slept all night. I planned to keep her home, but by 9 a.m. the next day, she was begging to go back to school. So she got dressed and I packed her lunch and took her. And then the school nurse called me and told me that she had to be fever-free for 24 hours to come back to school and that I needed to come back and get her. So I did. She watched tv while I got sicker by the minute. By 3, I knew I was not getting better.

We had a giant rain storm that night and then I slept for a long, long time. I woke up to Robb saying we were going to the doctor.
"Right this second?"
"Uh huh."
"Can I get dressed first?"
And Robb laughed.

They put a very pointy swab in both your nostrils and it tickles like mad. And when the receptionist says, "Oh you poor thing. Go home and get some rest." You know you'd better just give up and wait til whatever it is (Influenza A and B) is over. And you just figure that the kids who don't know where anything is, and the etsy store and the craft fair that is coming in 3 days will just fall into place while you try to figure out where the permanent home for your toothbrush should be.

I'm not moving ever again. I mean it this time.

I'll post some pictures after the craft fair is over.


Keri said...

Glad you are feeling better, I have been praying for you! A move is never easy, at least we moved during the summer and didn't have school to deal with too. Hope you make friends with your new space soon. :-)

Into Vintage said...

Isn't it weird how sometimes your body just decides for you "It's time to stop now." Happy to know you're safely tucked inside your new home ... my head would be spinning with paint chips and furniture arrangement and curtain ideas and gardening plans and trips to Home Depot and... all that good stuff! Have a great time!

wendy said...

good grief, i'm glad i'm better too! i'm not 100% (i doubt you are either), but i'm no longer a member of the zombie army.

luckily the doc just wanted me away from jonas until i felt better/major issues went away. BUT now he's all congested and sounding like darth vader. he's on meds now, and if he gets any worse, will be on tamiflu (which apparently is a miracle from the baby jesus).

i have to remember to call kathy freeman back and let her know i'm alive and well!

Life with Kaishon said...

Blogging tips