photo LFD-header_zpsrtqgwepm.png
 photo home_zpsbeyvjzpc.png  photo story_zpsryll93pv.png  photo church_zpsutjg0pcs.png  photo vintage_zpsrnxzz1s4.png  photo mosaics_zpslhx9tjaj.png  photo gallery_zpsrtj0zvcz.png

Friday, September 25, 2009

Isaiah 43:2

I learned something yesterday. I was listening to the Daily Audio Bible and I heard this verse:

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.

I've heard that verse before and had the image of pioneers crossing a deep river with a Conastoga wagon. Talk about your American mindset, huh?

What I learned, though, was that the phrase "the waters" is actually a Hebrew euphemism for urine. Literally, when you go through the piss, even a river of piss, I will be there with you.

Maybe that offends some of you. I find it deeply, deeply comforting.

3 comments:

Ron said...

seriously? "piss"? Like living in a world of...

That verse does make me feel better about a few things going on right now.

Sara said...

lol..you just reminded me of something that Colin Smith would have said in a chapel sermon...he did always have a way of offending people and comforting them with scripture at the same time. That's what i loved about learning the original languages the old testament came to life in a whole different way.

I'm glad that the God of all comfort is giving you that comfort today :)

Sara said...

and then he would have added at the end..."put that in your pipe and smoke it..."

Blogging tips