photo LFD-header_zpsrtqgwepm.png
 photo home_zpsbeyvjzpc.png  photo story_zpsryll93pv.png  photo church_zpsutjg0pcs.png  photo vintage_zpsrnxzz1s4.png  photo mosaics_zpslhx9tjaj.png  photo gallery_zpsrtj0zvcz.png

Sunday, March 23, 2008

A first for Easter Sunday

 
 
 
Never in my life have I missed church on Easter Sunday (at least that I can remember.) Actually trying to remember brought up some funny memories of that little, dark Methodist church, where my parents were married, and in my memories of attending, the man up front wore a funny robe and invited the children up front for some kind of talk. My other vague memories of that little white church in Blooming Valley (that is a real place) are of my Sunday School teacher, Elsie Baker writing my name in cursive, and my grandma still having dark brown hair. And my brother pulled a booger out of his nose during church and asked my mother what to do with it. And I learned the song,

"Why worry, when you can pray?
Trust Jesus, He'll be your stay
Don't be a doubting Thomas,
Rest fully on his promise
Why worry, worry, worry, worry,
When you can pray?"


We switched to another church when I was five years old, so those are some early, silent-movie, kind of memories.

But today, I was home with a very sick little girl who is running a high temp. It was a strange feeling being at home while all the people I have known over the years, in churches across the country, were gathered to worship. And I was at home, glazing a ham. Deviling eggs. Making pineapple upside-down cake. Eating candy. In my pajamas, not fine, new duds.

There really is a first time for everything, isn't there? And don't worry...that's grape juice in the kid's glasses....
Posted by Picasa
 
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Sandy said...

I am so sorry that you missed church today. I am so glad that your little one has a mom who loves her that much!

I just got through devilling our eggs, the ham and green bean casserole are both in the oven and we are just waiting for my daughter to get off work.

Happy, happy Easter to you and yours.

Robb Ryerse said...

I wish I could say that you didn't really miss much at church, but seriously ... you missed one of the most fun Easter services ever.

Dang kids.

A said...

Yeah, we could try to make you feel better, but there's no way to diminish that this was one of the best services we've ever had. Maybe if you make nice with the guy that has the video, he'll let you watch it?

12-arrows said...

Its tough being a mom especially when special stuff is going on but your dedication to your little one and your service to her today will not go unrewarded. I had a baby with a fever during our Good Friday Service and was not able to go either. I was disappointed for sure, but knew that I was right where I needed to be. I am blessed to be a part of your blogging friends. Thank you for sharing your life with all of us.

Grace Acres said...

That's to bad you had to miss church, I don't feel like I had a sunday, let alone Easter with out going to church. But I'm sure you daughter did,nt want to be sick either. Our easter was different as well, we had a snow storm on good friday so the egg hunt took place inside in a little house with 9 little children. God bless!

Marsue said...

We missed you this morning. The service was great. I hope that Charleigh feels better and no one else gets the fever.

Hannah said...

You were missed.

Anonymous said...

Rest assured... your brother was still picking giant boogers out of his nose. At least now he knows what to do with them. :)

Hope Miss Charleigh feels better soon. It's no fair for them to be sick on holidays :(

Blogging tips