photo LFD-header_zpsrtqgwepm.png
 photo home_zpsbeyvjzpc.png  photo story_zpsryll93pv.png  photo church_zpsutjg0pcs.png  photo vintage_zpsrnxzz1s4.png  photo mosaics_zpslhx9tjaj.png  photo gallery_zpsrtj0zvcz.png

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

"All is Quiet on New Year's Day..."

Do you have New Years Day traditions? I do. I would say that our family does, but it's just me, mostly, and I inflict it on them....

I love saurkraut, keilbasi, pork roast and mashed potatoes on NYD. I thought it was a Polish thing but my friend named "Fitzpatrick" also cherishes this sumptuous meal for New Years. Anybody else?

And of course, the tree has to come down. This year, my dear husband did most of the work, and I only had to vacuum up the needles, which, conveniently, I really like to do. I like the way they smell and I like the way they sound in the vacuum, clattering around, and I like the immediate gratification of sucking up a visible line of dark green needles, as oppossed to the "invisible dirt" I usually vacuum from our bland gray-tan carpet.

Those are the two things we actually do, and then I always say I'm going to write a family letter that day, since I'm always too busy to do Christmas cards, but I always forget. Maybe I'll do it today...

4 comments:

akr said...

we had our first open house at the parsonage with all of the church members...most of them are pretty old so no one stayed around to watch the ball drop. When we were younger our church had a new years retreat over at camp and stayed up all night playing games. the men would make breakfast for everyone in the morning...eggs, venison, bacon, pancakes...the works..it was a blast...that was the variety of our food besides whatever snacks people brought.

Darla said...

my mother ALWAYS makes ham, black eyed peas (supposed to bring "luck") and cornbread. i haven't carried on that tradition, unfortunately. i don't do well with cooking black eyed peas or cornbread. so michael and i ate a caesar salad yesterday! ha ha...

as for new year's eve, we went to a party at our friends' coffee pub... he is cuban, so he made mojo pork (ha - remember that discussion on your blog before about mojo??) and black beans and mojitos - the best drink i've EVER had!!! then right before the clock struck 12, he handed out 12 grapes (cuban tradition).... when the clock strikes 12, you have to eat the grapes and make a "wish" for each grape which represents the 12 months of the year!! i thought that was very cool!!

anyway, glad you had a great new year!!!

Anonymous said...

Darla, your mom made a traditional southern ny's meal. Ness, ours in the traditional Yankee meal. Don't you remember Sarah and Heather Ball being horrified we weren't having black eyed peas and we were horrified by the idea of "greens"

Ron and I have been on a rampage against clutter since we got home. The house is clean and organized and ready for the 55 gallon acquarium we never got to set up last semester. We're also finishing each other's sentences and reading each other's minds and drinking copious amounts of wine...it's been a great break for us--I'm so heartbroken it's almost over and we'll back to all the craziness by next week. This has been the best holiday ever.

Anonymous said...

I think my NY Traditions are pretty vague. I don't have any lol. I like it that way. LOL

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Blogging tips