photo LFD-header_zpsrtqgwepm.png
 photo home_zpsbeyvjzpc.png  photo story_zpsryll93pv.png  photo church_zpsutjg0pcs.png  photo vintage_zpsrnxzz1s4.png  photo mosaics_zpslhx9tjaj.png  photo gallery_zpsrtj0zvcz.png

Monday, May 13, 2013

The Game is ON

Experiments are afoot again at Vintage Fellowship.  This time around, I decided to sit out and focus on some other areas of my life that needed tidying up.  My boys...husband Robb and son Vin, are taking full part of the Game On collective.  This group is focusing on healthy eating, sleeping, water-drinking and bad habit elimination.  Two teams formed to compete against one another to out-healthy the other.  Even though I'm not formally participating, meals have been pretty different around here, and I got a good water bottle to help myself try to drink water.  I would say "more water" but I had gotten to a point where I pretty much was only drinking coffee in the morning and red wine at night and nothing else. Having experienced hydration for maybe the first time in my adult life, I have to say, I was really unhealthy!  It is a new sensation for me to experience "thirst."  I simply never felt that before.

Robb, after taking a month off from social media, is back to his blog and posted about his experiences so far on this healthy living plan.  Here's what he wrote:

I decided that Sunday morning is the best time for me to have my weekly weigh in. Last Sunday, I stepped on the scale, and I was down 7.5 pounds. Woohoo! Yeah me!
This accomplishment gave me so much confidence to head into week 2 strong. I had another perfect week – sleep, water, exercise, vegetables, the whole shooting match. Yesterday morning, I stepped onto the scale to chart my progress, hopeful to hit a milestone for which I was aiming.
And … nothing.
Exactly the same as the last Sunday.
All those vegetables. All that running. All those bottles of water. All for naught.
The number was the same.
As a metrics guy, this was really discouraging to me. My mind started to race, searching for reasons. Had I eaten too much during my Friday night cheat meal? Was is the last bottle of water I drank before going to bed Saturday night? Had I been unwittingly miscalculating my portions?

What do you do in times like this? Of course, I googled it up on my google machine. Apparently, this is a thing. The second week of a diet is often the worst week. Week 1 is when you drop all the water weight. Week 3 is when you begin a slow and steady slope toward your goal. Week 2 is the bump in the road. In fact, most people actually gain weight in the second week of a diet. I don’t watch the show, but apparently on The Biggest Loser, this is known as “The Curse of Week 2.”
This is the reason so many people quit dieting. They get discouraged when they see the number on the scale. They think it’s not working. And they give up.

Read the rest of the post and his reflections on it here.
Blogging tips