photo LFD-header_zpsrtqgwepm.png
 photo home_zpsbeyvjzpc.png  photo story_zpsryll93pv.png  photo church_zpsutjg0pcs.png  photo vintage_zpsrnxzz1s4.png  photo mosaics_zpslhx9tjaj.png  photo gallery_zpsrtj0zvcz.png

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

feeling better today, thanks....

So this morning, I am feeling better. Not all good, but better. It turns out that admitting how you really feel does help. So does sitting still. And sunshine. And taking a walk. And crying. And drinking a little wine. And having an un-hurried meal with my family. And watching PBS documentaries. And eating fresh, local apples. And lighting a candle. And wearing socks. And shopping. And remembering I'm a Calvinist. And cutting my toe-nails.

And blogging.

Something I've learned in the last five years or so is that adults can comfort themselves. They being mature involves being able to take care of yourself in a way that fits in with everything else you have to do. I didn't really know how to do that in my 20s, but now I understand that a little mental-health maintenance doesn't mean that I've given in to the Oprahtization of America.

Yesterday was a rough day. It was rainy and grim outside and everything felt really hard. I was having a bad time. Today appears to be another day. Thank God.

And on another slightly less self-absorbed note, I am grateful for all your blogs out there...I may not have time or emotion to comment, but I do read them every day and I think about you and your experiences in this crazy thing that is life.

2 comments:

gerbmom said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, Vanessa. I am praying for all of you guys....

Unknown said...

I didn't know you were feeling sad, but I just prayed for you. Furry fall socks are the best, aren't they?

Blogging tips